Filing your Tax Return in 2017

It’s time again to file your taxes.

Filing your taxes can be surprisingly easy with the only tricky part being to calculate your deductions, credits, and income. There are a few options available for filing your tax return from regular paper mail to filing online through different websites or by yourself.

Finding out whether you are required to file a tax return is the first thing you have to do. Although the majority of people residing in the United States should a file Federal income tax return, not everyone needs to submit a tax return to the IRS each year. Whether or not you need to file a tax return is based on your age, income, and filing status.

Filing by Paper Mail

The IRS still accepts tax returns sent by mail. You can print the tax forms online through the IRS website. Paper forms can be found in IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers located throughout the country including some local post office and libraries that have paper copies of common tax forms. Paper forms can be ordered by calling the IRS and they arrive mostly within 10 business days. Tax returns, once completed, must be mailed to the right IRS center in your state. All the mailing addresses are available on the website including information booklets for Form 1040, Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A, Form 1040ES, and Form 1040V. For your mailed return to be considered ‘filed on time’, it should be sent and postmarked no later than April 18, 2017.

Filing Electronically

Filing your 2017 tax return online on the IRS website is the quickest way for the IRS to accept your return and process the information contained in your tax return. Electronic filing can be done directly using the software provided by the IRS.

  • Taxpayers have the option to electronically file their tax returns cost-free. Taxpayers who earn under $64,000 annually can use the free filing software offered by the IRS, which has fillable forms online. If a taxpayer’s income is more than $64,000 they must know how to file online without using the software.
  • Electronic filing options are available through commercial tax software and the company you file through will submit your tax return to the IRS after you have completed your tax return.  There is generally a fee for their services.
  • Authorized e-file providers in your area can be found by going to the website. You can use the help of a professional tax preparer to have your tax return electronically filed and submitted for you. There will be a fee in this case also.
  • Sending your tax return through e-filing to the IRS can be the best option for many. It is also possible to process your tax payment electronically using your bank account, or debit/credit card. A wire transfer or cash payment can also be done separately from e-filing as long as the payment is processed before the deadline of April 18, 2017.  

Filing a tax return can be quite convenient as long as you complete and file it before the deadline to avoid penalties.

Featured Image: DepositPhotos/ eric1513